Lanarkshire man had TV smashed on his head in ‘horrific’ attack

A man has had a TV smashed over his head in a ‘horrific’ attack at his East Kilbride home.

Victim Ewan Meldrum was also kicked and punched before bullies Neil Hanton and Anthony Rooney made off with £500 of his possessions.

The 24-year-old victim has since died, but Hamilton Sheriff’s Court heard on Friday that his death was unrelated to the attack.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – plus features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and lets you customize your page with the sections that interest you most.

Head to the App Store and never miss a thing in Lanarkshire – iOS – Android

Hanton, 25, of Trinidad Way, East Kilbride, and Rooney, 20, described as a prisoner, admitted carrying out the assault at Hudson Terrace on May 8 last year.

Prosecuting Chloe O’Hara said the three men had been drinking together at Mr Meldrum’s home that evening.

He was assaulted around 11 p.m. as he returned from the bathroom.

Ms O’Hara told the court: “As he was opening the door to the living room, Rooney punched him, causing his nose to burst.

“Mr Meldrum backed down the hallway and Rooney kept punching him.

“The victim went into the bathroom and tried to close the door, but Rooney pushed her while holding a bottle of Buckfast wine and said ‘If you don’t say you’re my female dog, I’ll hit you with that bottle’.

Neil Hanton, 25, and Anthony Rooney, 20, faced charges at Hamilton Sheriff Court

“Hanton stood behind Rooney, laughing and filming the incident on his phone.”

Back in the living room, the two defendants punched Mr Meldrum who ended up on the floor with Rooney.

Hanton then punched the householder repeatedly on the chest and legs.

Rooney sat on top of Mr Meldrum and more punches rained down before Hanton shouted ‘Let him go’. That’s enough’.

Ms O’Hara continued: “Rooney came downstairs, but Hanton then lifted the television and smashed it over Mr Meldrum’s head, knocking him unconscious for a brief period.

“Rooney ran into the kitchen and we heard him say ‘I’m going to finish him off’.”

However, Mr. Meldrum managed to get his two attackers out of the apartment and lock the door.

They left with bags full of clothes, a Playstation, an Alexa, DVDs, a wallet and keys.

Neighbors heard the noise and the police were contacted.

Mr Meldrum was “covered in blood”, according to one of the neighbours. He was treated in hospital for injuries including broken nose and foot.

Police found the two accused at Hanton’s home. All stolen items have been recovered.

Rooney told officers: ‘I hit him because he pointed a knife at me.

Sheriff John Speir postponed sentencing of the two men until later this month.

Hanton, who was out on bail, was remanded in custody, as was Rooney.

** Don’t miss the latest headlines from Lanarkshire. Sign up for our newsletters here.

And do you havedo you know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? Head over to our page to give us a like and share.

Karl M. Bailey